Pages

Tuesday 1 August 2017

The Stress Of Dark Circles & How To Love And Accept Them

There really is no beginning part to this. For as long as I can remember, my dark circles have always been a very big issue for me. It is honestly the bane of my life. I’ve spent endless hours researching and googling different solutions as to why they're so prominent and dark. If you ever saw my search history, you would probably be slumped on the floor in hysterics. I tried to word them in so many different ways, changing a word here and there in hope that a new link would pop up and tell me the answer that I was looking for. I was constantly asking myself why my eyes are like it? How did they get like it? And when? And why my friends all had flawless skin.
 Obviously now at 21, I’m not as upset as what I used to be. Partly because I actually know how to apply makeup and I work around it — unlike my 12 year old self with half pink/half blue eyeshadow — and partly because I’ve really just learnt to accept them. A few years back I would have completely laughed at myself if I heard anything similar to that coming from me, how can you accept dark circles? Now don’t get my wrong, you would struggle to ever get me to leave the house without dabbing a little bit on concealer around my eyes and the beast itself. But nowadays it is very very minimal, which truly is a huge improvement… And achievement. I remember a few years back now, I even had to ask my doctor to see if, 1. There was any miraculous cure for them or 2. Why I even had them in the first place. Obviously I didn't get the answer I was praying for, there is no miracle cure, apparently its due to my skin tone and the dark pigmentation around my eyes will live with me forever. But that never stopped my research, my consultations, my eagerness to get them to disappear. 

I decided to book myself in to get dermal fillers at Radiance, which is an Exeter based Medispa. On one of my many searches, I kept on coming across the same answers which were either fillers, or laser. Laser just seemed far more aggressive so I decided to go with what I felt was the easier option. Apparently, so iv read, if your eyes are sunken or hollow then they can appear really dark because of the shadows. Now I wouldn’t necessarily say that I have hollow eyes, in fact, I have never thought that about myself. But if it helped with dark circles, then I'm your girl, I would've happily have been anyones guinea pig. The dermal fillers arounds the Tear Trough area cost around £375. Ros Debenham, the founder of Radiance Medispa, personally carried out my treatment. She is ever so caring and friendly, making me feel so at ease throughout the whole process. I was taken into this cute little room to allow the local anaesthetic to work its magic and after around half an hour, we begun. The fillers are injected just below the skin with a very fine needle. And no, they are not permanent, they last around a year and then your back to your usual beautiful self, unless you choose to carry on with this treatment. I however, didn’t see a huge difference at all. It definitely plumped up my eye area, but those nasty circles had not even faded in the slightest. Some things work absolute wonders for some people, and some things work not at all for others. It’s just one of those things unfortunately. One of those things that I kept on experiencing.




That didn't put me off though, my next little investment was to try out these highly spoken laser treatments. I went to Exeter Medical for this treatment, after my consultation with them and explaining my living nightmare, they thought this would be the best option. However they did warn me that results are not always seen straight away, that I may need to have a handle of sessions, but me being me, I held my faith and booked straight away. Now I can’t remember the exact price, but I remember it being a couple hundred. If you are interested then let me know and I can find out how much exactly I paid. But the whole treatment lasts around half an hour, and you have some time before to allow the local anaesthetic to kick in. Now this is by far the weirdest treatment that I have EVER had. Even emphasised I don’t think you will really understand. I really did think that my skin was burning at one point, because thats what I'm certain that it does. A few days after the treatment, a red/browny colour scab formed which made me think, this is it, this has done it! My new babylike skin will come through all pretty like and I will never have to worry about concealer and foundation ever again. Bit dramatic, but you get the gist. When I was a child, I had no faults with my skin, these dark circles must be something that I have grown into. So the day that these bad boys of a scab decided to spread its wings and fall… It was yet another disappointment. They were the same as their usual self.


Now I’ve used creams and lighteners, but all they seem to do is burn my skin and make it peel. It is much easier to cover a bit of darkness than peeling skin. I can not stress enough about how much research you need to do. Give yourself time, i’m the worst person when it comes to wanting something done because it has to be the earliest date available. Please don’t just read a simple solution that will solve all of your problems and then go for it, know what you're having done, who you're having it done by, and if you really truly need it. I look back now and think, a student working part time should not have to waste their money on ridiculous treatments. Obviously back then I thought anything would work, but that really isn't the case. Sometimes going back to basics and going down the good ol’natural route is more effective… And costs a hell’o lot less. If you're like me and struggle to fight of these dark shadows, you've probably read multiple times about how water is the most important part of reducing them, and its true. I would be the first to admit that I'm the worst at keeping up with my water game and its something that I really need to put my foot down and make sure that I drink the correct amount. If you feel as though you already drink enough, keep on drinking. I watched this video of a woman who made sure that she was drinking a certain amount of water a day for a year and she took a picture of herself everyday, it was incredible. Water is so important and its a cure itself in the beauty world so don't neglect it. Also, find an eye cream that works for you! I have been through so many, but I've finally found one that I'm happy with which I will write about in my next post. 




Dark circles will be with you forever even in the less obvious times. Love them, they're what makes you characteristic. They're what makes you different. They're what makes you you. Be who you are and embrace it. Don't thrive for something because it looks good on one person, thrive for something because it makes you feel good on the inside.




How have you managed to deal with your insecurities?

                                                                        Love,                                                        
Chloé Danielle-Taylor



4 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe!
    I'm so sorry about your disappointment with these treatments, particularly because they cost a lot of money. It was incredibly interesting to read about your experience, thank you so much for sharing.
    I was in the same boat as you, I used to have really dark underage circles but over a year ago I've drank up to two litres of water everyday. More so because I also drink coffee, which can dehydrate your body AND your skin. I couldn't agree more that the natural route is definitely the best. I try to use brightening face masks (the ones I use i bought from Etude House in Asia, I find they have the best brightening products) undereye masks - I use the Petitfee eye gel patch (you can actually buy this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PETITFEE-Black-Pearl-Hydrogel-Patch/dp/B00J2KY4NS) and it works wonders! I do understand that it might not work in the same way to you as it did for me but I hope these are of any help. Best wishes xo

    Micah A Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Micah! Thank you so much for the recommendations, I use under eye products too but il check out the ones that you've mentioned! I tend to say away from the 'miracle treatments' now, not as gullible as what I used to be! I know how much I searched and searched and searched, just wish I had something genuine to read about a previous experience, so I thought that it might be useful to others to share mine! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Such a brilliant post, I am so sorry to hear you have struggled with them so badly <3 I suffered very badly with body dysmorphia and to me I looked so wrong and freakish and alien like for years and years, it was so bad >< I have only just started to learn to accept and love myself, it is a long process haha! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too long of a process for us all to feel this way, but I'm glad that you're now loving yourself the way that you should be! There's absolutely nothing freakish about it at all, but we all hate those little insecurities. We just have to be there for each other! xx

      Delete

6 Essentials For The Cold Upcoming Months

I know, Summer coming to an end is the last thing that anybody wants to think about. We daydream all day long for months and months about...